Why Authors Especially Self Publishers, Need Websites

Posted in Self-Publishing on May 27th, 2010 by admin

source: http://www.go-publish-yourself.com/articles/book-marketing/pramschuferm.php

By Matt Pramschufer

Theodore Roosevelt once said, “Do what you can with what you have right where you are.” There is no better way to implement your resources than with your own website. A website provides three invaluable tools for self-publishers: worldwide advertising at the click of a mouse, lightning fast responses to customers, agents and publicists, and a website ultimately gives writers a virtual book tour without ever leaving the comfort of home. Best of all – this is an affordable option for self-publishers.

Who needs a website? Don’t the classifieds or banner exchanges on the internet do the trick?
The bottom line is that banners and classifieds turn people off. A website is a great method of advertising that targets not only local interests but reaches a market worldwide. And it can say as much as you want, and you leave it up to the viewer to decide what they want to read. Think of your website as a virtual brochure. It provides readers with invaluable information, at a reasonable cost, about the book and the author. The more information made available, the more buzz that can be generated about your writing.

How would my own website facilitate communication to customers, agents, and publicists?
The internet is now the place where journalists, and agents seek out new writers, so you can reach them without actually going to them. Journalists are looking to find the newest story about upcoming authors, and agents do the same. Either can contact you via your website and this way they are the ones doing the “knocking on the door” so to speak. And of course, customers can research invaluable information about you and your book and hopefully place orders too.

How can my website create a virtual book tour?
It is daunting to realize the average shelf life of a book is only three to six months and this only applies to 15% of the books that make it into stores. So how are the other 85% of books sold? Through self-promotion! Websites aid in self-promotion in that they create a virtual worldwide book tour open 24 hours a day. The website can include book discussions, purchasing information, information about the author, and so much more! This virtual book tour travels the world faster than you could ever hope to.

Is a website really that hard to make? Can’t I do this myself?
There are many aspects involved in developing a website that people take for granted. For instance easily understood navigation, effective color schemes, overall look and feel of the site, and proper maintenance and upkeep, not to mention proper programming for effective results in search engines. The entire process is not that hard if you know what you are doing but for the amateur it can be quite daunting. If you feel that you would like to take on the proposed project yourself by all means go for it, but just remember that a poorly designed website can hurt your advertising campaign more than not having a website at all.

It sounds like worldwide advertising is effective, but is it cost effective for a self-publisher?
Absolutely! Whereas other forms of advertising can be quite costly – potentially ranging into the hundreds of thousands of dollars – a website is wholly cost effective. In fact, companies like Go Publish Yourself and E-Moxie Data Solutions, Inc. offer self-publisher website design packages from $375.00.

Related Posts
A List of Hot Selling Genres to start off in Self-publishing

Bookmark and Share:
TwitterStumbleUponFacebookMySpaceDiggdel.icio.usLinkedInGoogle BookmarksReddit Yahoo Buzz

Connect to us via our other social media buttons. Just pick your click!

Tags: , ,
Free Book Marketing

No payments. No liabilities. Absolutely free! Just one single step. Simply fill-out the form and be rewarded with ALL of these prestigious freebies:

  1. e-MRC5
  2. an e-book on "The Self-publisher's Marketing Guide"
  3. one online listing on our BookShelf
  4. book marketing consultations
  5. $12 to $200 worth of savings on
    book marketing service rates

*Author's Name :
*E-mail address :
*Phone Number :
*Address :
*Book Title :
*ISBN 10 or 13 :
*Price :
*Add Book Cover image (jpeg only):
*Book Description:(at least 25 words)
*required fields

Please take time to complete the following fields with the necessary information. Rest assured that your
given information will be kept in full confidentiality.